Monday, August 30, 2010

Hat. Helmet. Hills.

The other weekend I rode up the Arguello Hill in the Presidio, San Francisco is even hillier and the hills are steeper on the weekends. True fact....
Shortly after conquering those Northside meanies, the Sunset district 20th Avenue is an annoying little continuation with its uphill grade, for more than a few blocks. Does it ever stop?! No. and because I don't stay in only one neighborhood ever, hills are my friends +enemies, and BFFs when they are a sweet downhill. I own them. kthx.
So, I took it like a hill pirate - aaaaaaaarrrr
This is somewhere around the heading south on 20th ave.
pinches hills. solo ride.
pinches hills. solo ride.
All hills, distance, wind, fog, hangovers, weather cases – just seem to disappear once you are rolling with your friends. This is way later in the afternoon post concert in Stern Grove, back to flatlands, leaving Golden Gate park and approaching Stanyan.
flatlands. peeps ride.
flatlands. peeps ride.

7 comments:

  1. Hill pirates, I like it--maybe if I swashbuckled my way up the tougher ones I'd do better...J-ARRRRRR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cyclofanatic husband says the same thing you do, "The hills are your friends," says it so much that friends quote it back to him even in non-cycling contexts. Like my math-geek daughter who cheered herself through calculus calling it just another hill.

    Doing hard things - esp when they lead to downhills - sounds like the secret to wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jra/ oh yes, soemtimes I wanna think Im used to them. no, doesnt always happen. hahahrhahrhahra

    cC/ <3

    emmaJ/ aww, hells. math+hills, it certainly is a strong loveHate relationship :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to the day when I consider hills friends because right now, ALL of them are sworn enemies :) Emma J and I must be married to the same person - haha! My husband is also a cyclofanatic and hills don't seem to affect him at all! I keep telling myself that it's because our bikes are so different - makes me feel slightly better at least :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaaw traci!! Im crackin :D
    here in SF is best to come to terms with them, because those suckers are everywhereeeeee - so after a big downhill moment, im ok with that battle going back+foward we are both winners, he heee

    ReplyDelete

with coffee in hand, sincere thanks for your readership ×